Well, we did it. We released our new open source repository which was about 3 years in the making and I’ll have to say I’m very happy with the results – we’ve been running the system for about four months now without any major problems! We have had over 290,000 downloads since our August soft launch and that’s not including web crawler downloads. I’ll talk more about statistics in later posts.
We exported all of our 6,500 records from our old DSpace repository and imported them into our new IR+ repository which we call UR Research – you can see the new site here:
We did some spot checking and made sure that we maintained all of our data. We now have features we always wanted as part of the system including: Authority Name Control, Researcher Pages, Multiple File Uploads, Statistics, Simpler Collection Model, Collaborative Authoring Workspace, Contributor Pages, Embargos and an easier to use interface.
We are testing the software on ourselves and hope to create an open source downloadable version in the next few days. It’s always good to run a system in production to make sure everything is running well.
The best news is that our existing users (Administrators, Faculty and Staff) have consistently told us it is much easier and more fun to use. For the first time we are getting asked by our faculty and graduate students about our repository and how it works.
This was a huge team effort, and it could not have been accomplished without the hard work and dedication of everyone involved.